Monday, January 11, 2010

The Joy of CoffeeMate

We love Fat-Free French Vanilla CoffeeMate Non-dairy Creamer (and no, this is not a paid endorsement by the Nestle company).  Nick's been drinking it in coffee for years (I think we can blame my brother- and sister-in-law for the addiciton), and I started drinking it about a year ago.  In fact, I think we go through more gross volume of this liquid than milk.  I didn't say we had the most discriminating taste.

We've been searching for this wonderfully tasty complement to our java in Shanghai since we got there to no avail.  I thought I had a sighting in the market downstairs from our apartment back in November, but when I went back to get it, it wasn't there -- a vanilla-flavored mirage.  We've tried multiple milk products (some of which we're not even sure what they really are, but they typically have a cow on the label, so we assume it's some kind of dairy product)  in our coffee and they have all been terrible (see blog posting about a really bad incident with Dunkin Donuts coffee and there may be a correlation).  So, I generally go without coffee, and Nick grabs a $5 cup of Starbucks, which is conveniently located on the lobby level of our apartment.

That is, until the Christmas miracle.    Nick went down to the market on Dec. 25 to pick up something for lunch when rays of light over the dairy section lured him over.  It was true - Fat Free French Vanilla CoffeeMate Creamer -- and there were two.  Nick grabbed both and was thrilled.  That is, until he ran out about a week ago.

Then yesterday he called and had a certain lilt in his voice.  I thought it was because I am coming back to Shanghai in a matter of days, and he can't wait to see me.  Nope.  The City Market got some more in new stock (he's been checking every other day to see if newly imported CoffeeMate has arrived).  Nick bought all eight bottles..

I thought the woman at the check-out counter must've thought something was weird about that, but he said she barely even looked up at him except to ask him for the nearly US$60 that the octuplet of coffee flavoring cost.

1 comment:

  1. And it tastes so very good. The best $40 I have spent in a long time :)

    ReplyDelete